Friday, September 28, 2012

Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Vegetable Fajitas

This is unwrapped so you can see the yummy goodness inside
The recipe that follows is one of my absolute favorite vegan meals. Having found it shortly after going vegan, I've been hungrily making it for years, and I honestly don't think I could ever get sick of it.

Growing up, I always loved Mexican style food. So when I cut meat and cheese out of my diet I felt at a bit of a loss. Most of the recipes I knew contained meat, and even if that didn't and were more beans and rice based, it still felt weird to leave out the cheese and sour cream which I so habitually considered a fundamental aspect of anything remotely Mexican. 

So, when I was first vegan, and craving such foods, I felt at a loss. It was this grilled portobello mushroom and vegetable fajita recipe that saved me. It takes a few steps and a little chopping, but the results are truly worth it. The marinade gives the vegetables a zesty tang and grilling them under the broiler makes them nice and juicy while keeping a soft crunch. Topped with salsa, guacamole, and jalapeno peppers on a warm tortilla these fajitas are packed with flavor while keeping a fresh veggie taste.

Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Vegetable Fajitas
6 Tbl balsamic vinegar
6 Tbl olive oil
4 Tbl freshly chopped parsley or cilantro
4 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 tsp salt
generous grinding of black pepper (I know I always say generous - in this case maybe about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
4 or 5 portobello mushrooms
4 red bell peppers (green, yellow, orange, or any other color of bell pepper also works. I just like red)
2 onions (sweet, vidalia, or red)
flour tortillas

In a large bowl mix the vinegar, oil, parsley or cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. On the side, chop the veggies into strips. Add the veggies into the marinade bowl and mix around, coating evenly. (Sometimes I like to split the marinade into two bowls, putting the peppers and onions into one and the mushrooms into another, so I can better control their individual cooking in the oven, but this is not necessary.) Set this aside and let veggies marinate for at least 15 minutes. Set the oven to broil, with the rack up high. After they marinate, spread the veggies on trays and broil for 5-10 minutes, then mix around and broil for another 5-10 minutes (I find the timing of this to be very different for different ovens, so keep an eye on it). Warm the tortillas. When the veggies are done, serve them onto a tortilla and add whatever toppings you like (I use salsa, guacamole and jarred jalapeno peppers). wrap up and eat.

Note: If you would like to make it more spicy, try adding 1 or 2 hot peppers (sliced) into the mix while marinading and broiling your veggies. I've never tried this, but I think it would be a good idea. I guess that just means I'll have to try it soon. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment