Monday, August 13, 2012

Cucumber Salad

If you grow cucumbers in the summer, you'll know that even one plant can produce a lot. If you have a few plants, you'll pretty quickly have piles of them. So what should you do with all those cucumbers?
In my opinion, its obvious: make a cucumber salad!

This cucumber salad recipe is one of the simplest things I've ever learned to make. It takes little time, and even less effort. It will use a bunch of cucumbers, and you will probably gobble it down fast, but it will add such a simple, clean, and fresh vegetable aspect to your meal. And all you need for ingredients are cucumbers, water, salt, vinegar, and sugar. Crunchy, sweet, salty and tangy all at once, it really packs a punch.
To emphasize the wonderfulness of this recipe, I would like to point out that it's been passed down in my family for years. That longevity must be a sign of it's high quality in flavor, right?

Actually, I have absolutely no clue where it was originally from, but I learned it from my grandmother, who learned it from her grandmother. My whole life my grandma, whom I am very close too especially when it comes to food, has told me stories about her grandma, Grossmutter (German for Grandma), while we work in the kitchen. Although I obviously never met Grossmutter, who died long before I was born, many of her recipes like this one, or the stollen we bake every Christmas, will always be near and dear to my heart. And fortunately for me, this particular recipe is vegan!

IMPORTANT: The number of cucumbers you use for this recipe all depends on size. If they're big use less, if small use more. The proportions really aren't fussy at all, so don't worry too much. Either way the salad, as a side dish, will probably serve about four people. Also, read the recipe directions. It's not one of those recipes where you just toss everything together. There are steps.

Cucumber Salad
4 - 8 cucumbers
salt
water to rinse salt off
1/4 cup cider vinegar (any kind would work though)
more water (1/4 cup)
1 Tbl sugar

Slice cucumbers thin, layer with salt, let stand for at least a half hour, rinse a few times to wash off excess salt, squeeze hard (like really hard) to get water out.  Dress with 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon sugar.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog after googling "Pine Needle Tea", thanks for posting these healthy recipes, this Cucumber Salad sounds simple and refreshing, I'm making it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for commenting. I hope you like it! If you want to dress it up a little more you could add a little fresh dill or parsley.

    ReplyDelete