Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pizza doesn't need cheese

Growing up, pizza was always one of my all time favorite foods. So, the first time I went vegan, I immediately feared that the lack of cheese in my diet would threaten my love of pizza. Fortunately though, today, pizza is still one of my favorite foods. The only difference is what specifically I put on it. My first vegan pizza had soy cheese, my second had almond cheese (definitely the way to go if you are looking for faux cheese - I've been using it on pizzas for years now); and last night, I eliminated "cheese" from my pizzas altogether. Instead I used nutritional yeast, a new favorite food of mine. It worked great, so I felt inspired to post my pizza recipe here. 

Oven temperature: 500 degrees
Cook time (in oven): about 10 minutes

Toppings: homemade pasta sauce, nutritional yeast, chopped fresh tomato, onions, olives, sun dried tomatoes, potatoes (sliced and boiled before being put on the pizza), hot sauce, oregano, and salt & pepper.

Dough recipe:
1 package active dry yeast (1 Tbl)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar 
2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115°F.)
1 2/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoons table salt
¾ teaspoon olive oil

mix yeast and sugar and water in bowl; let sit until bubbles or froth appear (this means the yeast is active). mix in salt and oil. slowly add in flour, mixing. once the dough starts to form a good blob, plop it out on the counter and begin kneading. Knead for 5-10 minutes, until dough feels elastic-y, adding in more flour if needed. 
Possible alterations to dough recipe: sometimes I substitute some of the white flour for whole wheat flour, or add flax seed, or add sunflower seeds. 

2 comments: